Sunday, October 5, 2014

"Safe Zones"-Gerri August






In the article “Safe Zones” by Gerri August, the topic of bullying within classrooms along with bullying of those in the LGBT community.  In the beginning of the article this quote stuck out to me which said, “classroom walls create an impression of dichotomy, the academic arena within the personal area without”. (83) When it comes to a classroom no one should be bullied for not being able to comprehend certain things that they are learning or because a person is “different” to someone else.  Growing up I have seen several cases of bullying, especially from a young age.  I was one of those kids who unfortunately were a victim of bullying.  From kindergarten until about eighth grade I was friends with a girl who was not the nicest person.  While growing up we had our fair share of being friendly and having good times but when it came down to the reality she was someone who knew how to bully, and unfortunately that kid was me.  She was tease me, call me names, kick me and make jokes about me to the other kids in my classroom.  When we graduated middle school and went on to high school I was able slowly drift away from her, to this day when I see her she still acts the same way just not as intense.  When faced with this bullying it greatly affected my school work and how I interacted with people, hence why I am much more shy person than I used to be when I was younger.  Other experiences that I have not personally gone through but I have witnessed have been in my job in a daycare.  I have seen kids be compleely cruel to each other and singling kids out for no reason.  Situations like this break my heart.  Why is it that making fun of someone for who they do as a person is okay to some people?  Not only myself but also that I know around me think that it is completely wrong.  Bullying is never okay whether you are friends with a person or if you barely know them, it is never ever okay.  


The LGBT community is also very important to me because I have a family member who is part of this community.  When he was younger he just knew that he was different from everyone else and was completely okay about it.  Other people make comments under their breath and think that it is completely okay when in actuality it isn't.  My uncle, sadly, faces bullying even as an adult and has only opened up a bit more over the past few years with certain states becoming open to same sex marriage.  I am a supporter of same-sex marriage and I do not see anything wrong with it at all.  Love isn't about gender it is about the person within.  In today’s society the LGBT community is seen more frequently in movies, TV shows and commercials.  I personally feel that having the LGBT community shown more throughout media is a step in the right direction.  Members of the LGBT community are able to feel more comfortable about who they are.  This can also help in classrooms as well with children who are apart of the LGBT community and to help them feel that they are not different from everyone else. 






1 comment:

  1. Loved the pictures! Especially Ellen Degeneres, one of the most notable and respected gay women today. Really awesome also how you can tie media like that to your blog. Great job!

    ReplyDelete