Sunday, October 19, 2014

“In Service of What? The Politics of Service Learning”-Extended Comments




“In Service of What? The Politics of Service Learning” by Joseph Kahne an Joel Westheimer discusses the concept of service learning and how it is beneficial for both the children who are learning and the people, whether they are young adults or older adults, that are teaching these children to better their education and their futures.  This article also discusses how when providing not only service learning but also community service is a great way for people, especially children to get involved in their communities. 

For this blog post I chose to write an extended comments on Cindy’s blog post for “In Service of What? The Politics of Service Learning”.  Cindy begins her post by using this quote from the reading by Joseph Kahne and Joel Westheimer, “Sometimes the most beneficial form of learning comes to us through action.  Service learning allows students to have a more hands-on learning experience and connect what they are being taught in classrooms to the real world events.”.  When reading this quote it was I couldn’t help but agree with this statement.  Just as Cindy stated about this quote, “taking part in a service learning project is eye-opening in many ways”.  Even though I just started my service learning for FNED 346 I have had hands on experience when it comes to teaching and helping children.  For the past year I have worked at Henry Barnard on the Rhode Island College campus as my work-study job.  In a matter of just a year I have helped these children with homework and being there to guide them in their everyday lives.  I have not only gained relationships with these children that have become unbreakable but I have also gained experience when it comes to helping children in the schooling atmosphere.  
Another point that Cindy made was the quote from Erika Lincoln’s blog post.  This quote stated, “Sometimes the most beneficial form of learning comes to us through action. Service learning allows students to have a more hands-on learning experience and connect what they are being taught in classrooms to real world events”.  I completely agree with this stated that Erika made.  Being able to be hands on when it comes to service learning is the most beneficial for both the person learning and also the person being taught.  Although it has only been my third week of service learning at the Asa Messer Elementary School I truly feel that being hands-on in the classroom helps the children better understand the activities that are being presented to them. Just as in Cindy’s blog post, relating her service learning experience to Jonathan Kozol’s article “Amazing Grace”.  Cindy stated, “I am working in a less-privileged classroom and the help I am providing for the students will benefit them with the tools to create a better future.”  I completely agree with Cindy's quote about working in a less-privileged classroom helps to create a better future for these children.
Just as Cindy discussed her personal experiences with community service at Agnes Little Elementary School  I too have had similar experiences with community service.  When I was younger I used to do community service at my old elementary school Blessed Sacrament in Providence RI.  Although Blessed Sacrament is not exactly lik Asa Messer or Agnes Little it is still very different from when I was younger.  Knowing that I was able to help the children in the younger ages was very rewarding.  We are the examples of those who are attending school and learning all the nessacary tools in life, community service plays a huge factor into that.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for using my blog for your extended comments! I love the connections you made and I totally forgot to include my experience at Henry Barnard! I haven't work there as long as you have but I definitely agree with you, our job is such a great opportunity. You did a great job Gianna :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked reading about your experiences at Henry Barnard. I agree that service learning in a classroom creates an unbreakable bond with students as well as creating a unique learning experience that can not be simply taught through note and test taking.Good job! Also, thank you for referencing my quote in your blog. I appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete