Monday, November 10, 2014

Finn-Literacy with an Attitude-Connections

This week’s reading, written by Patrick Finn, Literacy an Attitude, discusses the observations made between schools and segregation.  Finn talked about how the topic of literature and it’s power in today’s classrooms, especially lower class.  The two connections that I found apparent when reading this article were connections to Jonathan Kozol and Richard Rodriguez. 
 The connection that I made when it came to 
Rodriguez was the quote, which stated, “The working-class children were learning to follow directions and do mechanical, low-paying work, but at the same time they were learning to resist authority in ways sanctioned by their community. The middle-class children were learning to follow orders and do the mental work that keeps society producing and running smoothly. They were learning that if they cooperated they would have the rewards that well paid, middle-class work makes possible outside the workplace. “ (20) This quote reminded me of Rodriguez because of what he had gone through when it came to his school career.  He was faced with being told that he had to learn a different language because his native language was not English.  He discusses how in order to be successful he had to change something so personal as to what language he was speaking.  This quote shows how the children are being taught that they need to be “successful” in order to get somewhere in their life.  In all actuality the teachers are not that supportive of the children and their success.
                  The connection that I made was with Jonathan Kozol.  Patrick Finn discusses in the beginning in the article and references Kozol when it comes to the title.  Kozol has an article named, Savage Inequalities.   Savage Inequalities discusses how the unequal results of schooling of both the rich and poor children to segregation.  It is also based on race and family income.  Reading this part of the article reminded me of Jonathon Kozol’s article on Mott Haven.  The people in Mott Haven were not treated the way that they should have been just because they were not a certain class.  They were not given the privileges that they deserved.

                  Reading this article reminded me of my service learning.  Going into a Providence Public School in a ESL classroom is a complete eye opener for me.  When going into the classroom each week I reflect on the schooling that I had when I was younger and how they do not have the same privileges as I did when I attended my school.  I feel that each and every student no matter what background they come from should affect how their success is in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment